Thursday, November 19, 2015

Student Success Stories

This week’s success story: Ashley Fontenot




What CCD resources have you used that may have led to an internship, co-op, or part/full - time job opportunity?

Hire-a-Vol
Career Consultation
BUAD: 320
Erin Bennett
Mary Mahoney
Danny Pape

How have these resources prepared you for the internship, co-op, or part/full - time search process?

Freshman year I needed a part-time job, and I found that job through Hire-A-Vol. Through BUAD: 320 with Erin, I chose my major - Public Relations. After almost a year with my first job, they had to cut the secretary position. They gave me a two-week notice, and within that I found a job at 21st Mortgage. I was promoted to Social Media Coordinator there, and after a year and three months, I needed more experience in PR, so I attended the Communications Job Fair and met Sophie with Ackermann PR. I have held an intern position with them for two semesters. Within that time, I spoke with Mary Mahoney about working in Athletics and she connected me with my now boss.

What organization have you worked for or will you be working for and where?

During college, I've worked for Smee+Busby Architects downtown in Market Square, 21st Mortgage also downtown - two blocks from market square, Ackermann PR off of Northshore, and the athletic department.

What was your most enjoyable experience or what are most you looking forward to?


I can't say that I've had one amazing experience. I think all of my experiences have led me to where I am today. I still haven't chosen the industry I want to work in, but I definitely have options because of all the experience I have. Pretty much any success in job hunting I've had, the Center for Career Development has had a huge part. The most enjoyable people I've met are Erin and Mary. They've been two beacons of light in my professional journey. 

Keep up the great work, Ashley! 


ATTENTION: If you have any great internship/ job experiences that UT Center for Career Development played a role in helping you score and you would like to share, we would LOVE to hear from you! Email us at utcareerpeers@utk.edu for more information if you would like to be featured in our Student Success Stories segment of Big Orange Briefcase.


Yours Truly, 





No comments:

Post a Comment